The house where Buckley’s Tavern stands today dates back to 1817 when it was originally built as a private residence.
At that time, there was a blacksmith shop where the parking lot is now located and Kennett Pike was just a dirt road.
Stagecoaches stopped where the bus stops now, and the front porch, complete with rocking chairs, protected waiting passengers from inclement weather.
Buckley’s was also the site of a tollgate to collect fees from those traveling to and from Wilmington.
In the 1930’s, the house became a popular taproom and ice cream store. In 1951, it was taken over by Dennis Buckley, who gave the tavern its current name. Dennis was a congenial character who, along with his son Alyn, ran Buckley’s until 1970 when it was sold to its present owners.
Buckley’s has always been a favorite meeting place for all kinds of folks... from world-renowned artists, to professional athletes, from our everyday local clientele to travelers passing through.
In our parking lot, Rolls-Royces rub wings with pick-up trucks and the occasional "six in hand" horse carriage, of course, and the past mingles with the present... old memories are cherished and new ones are made.
Buckley’s Tavern offers casual American “comfort cuisine” in our tavern and two inside dining rooms as well as outdoor dining areas, including our totally renovated rooftop bar and grill. There are two private dining rooms that can be used for meeting rooms as well.
Please give us a call for additional information: (302)-656-9776